Share Your Shelf with Shea Ernshaw
1. Ember Mug – If you follow me on Instagram, you know my deep love for tea. And this Ember mug that keeps my tea warm for hours has changed my life. I cannot recommend this mug enough!
2. In the morning, when I enter my office, the first thing I do before I begin writing is draw a card from this beautiful “Inquire Within Deck” made by Worthwhile Paper. With cards that read: “Give it the time it needs,” “Listen,” and “You are always shifting.” It helps me feel focused and centered before I sit down.
" One of my favorite books is Mary Oliver’s Upstream—a collection of poems and essays." - @SheaErnshaw
3. One of my favorite books is Mary Oliver’s Upstream—a collection of poems and essays. The way she describes the natural world always inspires me and it’s a book I often pull from the shelf and read whenever I’m feeling stuck on a scene.
4. I love this “Create” mist by Makenzie Flynn reate” mist by Makenzie Flynn. I spray this in my office whenever I’m writing. It’s filled with full moon charged water, Palo Santo, carnelian crystals, and many other beneficial oils to help inspire the senses!
5. Socks! I always have cold feet, so a cozy pair of socks is a necessity to get any writing done. These “constellation” socks made by Tentree are ethically made from recycled bottles! And they’re also just unbelievably cute!
6. There are many believed benefits from Himalayan Salt Lamps, and I find that having one of these lamps nearby while I’m writing really relaxes me.
7. A good candle and some crystals always helps to create a calming, inspired mood. And I’m loving these kits put together by a new shop called AWAKE. It’s a perfect bundle of items to celebrate the new moon, or any occasion. I just love these!
8. I’ve only recently started listening to music when I write and one of my favorite musicians is Gregory Alan Isakov. His album, The Weatherman, is the perfect mood and tone for writing magical settings.
9. Chocolate! My go-to writing snack is always chocolate and my current favorite are these Coconut Milk Caramels! They’re vegan (a must for me) and I can devour a whole bag while working my way through a scene! Cocomel Bites
10. Yoga might not seem like an obvious bookish essential, but for me, rolling out a yoga mat on my office floor and doing a few simple poses can really clear my head and help me to focus. This yoga mat by Suga is made from recycled wet suits, so not only will practicing yoga on this mat be good for your body, but good for the planet too. Hooray!
Does Shea's favorite essentials coincide with yours?
Let us know in the comments down below!
"My go-to writing snack is always chocolate and my current favorite are these Coconut Milk Caramels! " - @SheaErnshaw
This article was originally printed in the Winter 2019 issue of Curiositales. If you would like to receive a free digital copy of the magazine, sign up for our newsletter at the top of this page! Then, confirm your email address (be sure to check your spam folder). Once you click the link in your welcome email, you'll get regular news from Curiositales, including notifications when the latest magazine is published. You can unsubscribe whenever you like. Or, you can read it for free here.
Prefer physical copies? Us too! Subscribe to the magazine and receive a print magazine in the mail every quarter along with a whole bunch of bookish surprises!